May 15, 2012

1947 Called...

...they want their dress back.


Growing up, I only wore dresses for special occasions.  So to me, Dress = Fancy Pants.

Then I became a mum and I discovered that dresses are a great wardrobe staple.  Why?  Partly because I want to feel fancy sporting a cascade of baby puke and partly because they're probably the easiest outfit to assemble.


I L-O-V-E this dress pattern.  Butterick has a great selection of retro dress patterns from the '40s, '50s and '60s.  You just have to be sure to measure yourself before buying; sizing has changed over the years.  I'm apparently two dress sizes larger according to 1947.  Pffftttttt.


It's not challenging to sew and it's comfortability rating is through the roof.  Not to mention it's totally kid proof.  The neckline cannot be pulled down to your waist and the skirt is long enough to lessen the chance of bum-exposure.


It's also quite entertaining.  I wish I had photos of Rowan using the skirt to play peek-a-boo with the dogs, because it was pretty adorbs.


 I like my polka dot dress.  I think Lily likes too :)

No comments: