May 18, 2011

Best-Ever Buttermilk Biscuits

Last night I made a batch of buttermilk biscuits to go with my pork and veggie soup.  This recipe makes a dozen, and there was no way I could finish them all, so guess what that means....


...tea biscuits for breakfast!  These biscuits have a life of about 24 hours, so I'll probably have to freeze a few of them.  The recipe calls for buttermilk, but if you don't have any, a Tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice in 1 or 2% milk will work just fine. 

I believe that some recipes call for whipping cream (which would make them more like a scone), but I've discovered a lighter way to get a creamy biscuit.  I spoon a little plain yogurt into the bottom of my measuring cup and then top up with milk.  This also works with pancakes!


 Looks a little English, doesn't it?  Well, except for the coffee in place of tea...and they really should be scones, not tea biscuits.  And although this is a grey, rainy day; it's still southern Ontario.  So, I guess it's wanna-be English.  Ah well, I'll just continue my Fawlty Towers marathon (the entire series is on Netflix!) and call it a day.

No comments: